Sunday, July 6, 2014

Living Room and Dining Room Drapes


I bought some fabric for new drapes in the living room and dining room. Its a pretty Waverly print from the 1990's. I found it on Etsy and got 12 yards.  I think its perfect for my romantic country / cottage look I'm decorating with now.

Just to get a feel for how they will look I cut the length of them and hung them with the clip rings in the living room. They are pretty. Not as full as I would like, but I don't have enough fabric for double widths. I won't use these as drapes because I don't need privacy but they will just hang as stationary panels.

I'm going to sew them myself so I am thinking just a straight panel lined, no pleats, and gently pleat them with the ring hooks. I'm not sure though. I'm also thinking of putting a ruffled leading edge and bottom of a green check that coordinates well. On the one hand I think ruffled drapes are terribly out of style. However Miles Redd uses them and they seem classic in his interiors. So I might go for it. I'm going for romantic not grandma style!

One last thing. This fabric is a chintz meaning it has a stiff, glossy finish applied. Part of me wants to wash them multiple times so I have a nice soft fabric. But I do like the chintz look, they just don't lay as well for the relaxed style I'm going for. I wish I had some extra fabric so I could experiment a little.

Are you sewing anything new lately? I think chintz is coming back in style. Would you use it?

No comments:

Post a Comment